Saturday 8 December 2012

Behind the blog: Macarons and Stilettos


Hi everyone! Welcome to a new edition of Behind the blog. This time I would love for you to all meet this wonderful lady, Aubree. She blogs over at Macarons and Stilettos and has her own shop; Fatally Feminine Desings. Get to know her a bit better and then hop over to her blog!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi Aubree, welcome to Even Sweeter Dreams! Could you tell a bit about yourself and where you are from?

I’m a 24 year old full time Graduate student from the United States, specifically New Mexico aka the desert. When I am not at school or doing school work, I love to spend time designing and creating jewelry in my studio. I have an obsession with Japan, cute things, and my cat Mochi. Basically, I’m a regular girl with a love for fashion and an abnormal amount of creativity.



Why and when did you decide to start a blog?

I started my blog about 9 months ago. I had actually blogged previously for my shop Fatally Feminine Designs, but gave it up because I really was not passionate about it and did not want to dedicate the time it took to properly run it. I came back to blogging as a way to express myself, the person that I feel like I could never really express through a business based blog. I also wanted to connect with other people who share my passions and similar interests.
 

Why did you chose Macarons and Stilettos as your blogs name?

To be honest, I really don’t know. I think I went through a lot of names in my head before I decided on this one. I really wanted to focus my blog on cute things and fashion so I think that’s how I decided to combine the ultra cute cookie the macaron with the fashion item the stiletto. 



Where does your love for Japan and kawaii come from?

As a child, some of my favorite things were little trinkets that were made by Sanrio, the Japanese company that is now known for Hello Kitty. So, cute character items have always had a special place in my heart. Whenever I enter a Sanrio store or character goods store, I get this amazing feeling of happiness, even today as an adult. I started exploring Japanese culture and fashion when I started making jewelry as a teen. It actually inspired me to start my shop Fatally Feminine Designs. Ever since then I have been completely obsessed with everything Japan related and kawaii. 



Have you ever been to Japan? If yes, what was it like. If no, is it a dream to go there?

No!!! I’m so sad I haven’t gotten the chance to go there yet. It is definitely a dream for me. I have dedicated myself to full time university studies for the past 6 years and to my shop for the past 4 and a half years. So I haven’t had much time if any for travel. Also, I’m a broke college student, so thousands of dollars for a plane ticket just isn’t realistic. But my boyfriend also loves Japan and we have talked about going to Japan for our honeymoon once we get married!

 
What’s your favourite part of blogging?

I thought my favorite part would be simply sharing the things I love with other people, but I found out that the best part is really the other bloggers that you connect with and the friendships that you create that span the globe!
 

You have your own webshop. When did you start selling your own crafts?

I started my shop about 4 and half years ago on Etsy.com. (http://fatallyfeminine.etsy.com)
 


What kind of items do you sell and when do you decide to sell (when do you approve it)?

I sell handmade jewelry and accessories inspired by childhood, food, and Japanese street fashion. I specialize in highly detailed and realistic polymer clay (fimo) charms and jewelry. Some of my most popular items include cotton candy necklaces, gumball machine necklaces, and Alice in Wonderland Eat Me cake charms and Drink Me bottle necklaces. When I am creating a new charm or design for a piece of jewelry, I spend a lot of time practicing and perfecting the best way to make it. Once I have made one that I am really happy with and proud of, I photograph and list it in my shop. In everything I make, I strive to make something cute and of the best quality. I always make things as if I were making it for a member of my family or my best friend. Yeah, I’m kind of a perfectionist when it comes to creating and designing.
 


Who are your favourite artists/ webshop owners?

I love supporting other independent artists and designers! Some of my favourites include Kelly of I’m Your Present, Kelsea of Kelsea Echo Studio, Twinkie Chan (And her new shop Yummy You!), Claire of Cute Plush, Natascha of Insanely Sweet Jewelry, Mary of Acrylicana and many many more. I could go on literally forever.
 

What would you advice anyone who wants to open their own webshop?

Figure out something that you are passionate about and dedicate yourself to it. If that is drawing, designing clothes, making jewelry, or simply selling things that you love, don’t ever lose sight of what gets you up in the morning. Once you truly find that passion, something that lights a fire inside of you, you will dedicate yourself to it in order to make it happen. And remember that being your own webshop owner is never easy. It takes time, dedication, and hard work. But if you truly love it, it will never really be work. On days when you feel down or like you have failed, push through and remember why you started in the first place. This can spark your creativity and initial love for what you do so that you can rededicate yourself to your shop and your vision.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much Aubree! Do visit her lovely blog and shop. Hope you all enjoyed this Behind the blog, have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for putting this together Susie! It's really lovely :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete